If you love the smokey flavor of char-grilled veggies, you’ll love this grilled vegetable salad that’s a perfect complement for steaks on the grill.
3 ears of corn on the cob
2 red bell peppers
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound) – try to get thick stalks
About 1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 crushed garlic clove
1 teaspoon basil (if you have fresh basil, use a tablespoon of basil ribbons)
Or use ¼ cup Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce.
Preheat: Heat a grill to medium to high heat, depending on what else you’re grilling. For example, steaks need a higher heat than veggies.
- Cut the bell peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Cut in as large a piece as you can. I usually cut the tops and bottoms off and then cut the body into 3 large pieces that can lay pretty flat on the grill.
- Cut the woody ends of the asparagus off, or bend the asparagus and let it snap.
- Remove the husk and silk from the ears of corn.
- Brush the veggies lightly with oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Let the veggies sit for about 10 minutes before putting them on the grill.
Cook: Grill the veggies until they have some char and color but aren’t burned. You don’t want to dry out the veggies, so they should still have some bite. Grill times will vary based on your grill and the thickness of the veggies. But following are my grill times:
- Corn: 20 minutes
- Bell Peppers: 10 minutes
- Asparagus: 4 minutes (this is the one that tends to burn the most, especially if the stalks are thin)
- Remove the veggies and give them a few minutes to rest. If you plan to remove the charred skin on the red bell peppers, place them under a foil tent to steam a bit to make the skin removal easier.
- Chop the asparagus and peppers into bite-size pieces. The corn is the hottest to handle, so I cut this one last. Slice the corn kernels off the husk, leaving some of the pieces together.
- Dress your salad with the Cilantro Chimichurri or the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serving Size: about a cup
Keywords: Grilled vegetable salad, Grilled veggie salad, Char grilled vegetable salad recipe