Fried rice balls made with Cuban arroz con pollo are a fun way to turn leftover rice into a Cuban tapas party!
2 cups arroz con pollo a la chorrera
3/4 cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Sriracha mayo (1/3 cup mayo with 1 teaspoon sriracha)
- Pulse the panko breadcrumbs to make the crumbs just a bit smaller (or stick in a ziplock bag and crush for a bit)
- Take 1/4 cup of rice and shape into a patty. Add 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella to the center and shape into a tight ball.
- Place rice balls in the freezer for ten minutes
- Dredge the rice balls through flour, dip in beaten egg and coat in panko bread crumbs.
- Stick the rice balls in the freezer while you heat the oil for frying
- Heat two cups vegetable oil for frying over medium heat
- Test the oil by throwing in a bit of panko to see if it’s sizzling hot
- Once it’s sizzling, add the rice balls a few at time so you don’t crowd them
- Fry the rice balls for two minutes on each side
- Drain on paper towels
Serve with sriracha mayo.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
Keywords: Rice Balls Recipe, How to make rice balls, fried rice balls, cuban chicken and rice, arroz con pollo, cuban arroz con pollo, stuffed rice balls, arancini rice balls