Pumpkin rice made with fresh pumpkin, chorizo, ham and salt pork. It’s a perfect one-dish filled meal with great Cuban flavors!
2 cups long white grain rice
3 cups chicken broth (see note)
1 cup uncooked pumpkin cut into 1-inch cubes (see note)
5 ounces ham
2 ounces salt pork (tocino)
2 Spanish chorizo links
4 ounces tomato sauce
½ cup yellow onion
½ cup red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon paprika
Pinch saffron threads (optional)
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the rice to remove some of the starch.
- Chop the onions and peppers and crush the garlic. Measure out the spices so you can just add them to the sauté at the right time. You don’t have to do this, but I find it makes the process easier.
- Cut the salt pork into half-inch pieces. Cut the ham into one-inch cubes. Slice the chorizo links into half-inch rounds.
- Peel and cut the pumpkin into one-inch cubes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Saute the salt pork for about 3 minutes until it begins to brown. Add the ham and cook for another two minutes. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and cook for three minutes. Add the chorizo and cook for two minutes.
- Add the rinsed rice and sauté for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spices and the broth and adjust salt if needed. Then bring to a boil and cover. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes and then add the pumpkin just as the water is mostly absorbed. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork-tender.
Sometimes the rice may take a bit more water and cooking time, depending on the rice you use. In that case, just add a bit of water and let it cook for a little longer. I usually add a quarter cup of water at a time and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
Keywords: pumpkin rice, yellow rice, pumpkin rice recipe, yellow rice recipe, cuban rice dishes, cuban yellow rice